The Home Of Stained Glass in The Heart of The Surrey Hills

The Home of Stained Glass in The Heart of The Surrey Hills.

Welcome to Abinger Stained Glass


Monday 26 March 2012

Horray!!

As you may or may not know I have been designing and making bespoke stained glass and fused glass for over a quarter of a century! I love it now as much as ever if not more and throughly enjoy both the commissioning process and taking my courses. This is giving me a wonderful 'family' of students and customers all of whom are also in love with glass and realise that it has the potential to change your life! I mean it! The quality of light passing through coloured glass can be beautiful and uplifting. Unlike the sometimes sombre thought provoking stained glass made for places of worship and contemplation. I make windows for people, for individuals with individual likes, dislikes and tastes. This is what makes my job so satisfying and (if I dare say it) fun. Some of my students fall so in love with the process and finished results that they have found a new hobby and its my greatest pleasure to help them develop and grow. One of my students is having her first exhibition this week!


I work mainly on my own and have done so for 12 years since leaving the workshop in London where I trained. Working on my own can have its downside. I rarely get out as I am very busy! Networking is not my thing, work is. But then in April 2009 I joined a social media site called Twitter. Since then I have 'met' loads of lovely like minded souls. Crafters, artists, architects, social enterprises,  interior designers, garden designers, stained glass artists, foodies, bloggers, stone masons, willow workers... hey you name it I am meeting them and love to hear about the work they do and their thought on the world. I've even met a few in person, you know who you are you lovely people!


Twitter has opened the world up to me, a stained glass artist working in my 'shed' on my own and I love it. 


On March 18th 2012 my Tweeting paid dividends as I entered a Twitter competition held on Sunday nights by  Theo Paphitis, one of the BBC Dragons and entrepreneur. The competition was to Tweet your small business to @TheoPaphitis and give it the hashtag #sbs, which stands for Small Business Sunday.
A couple of thousand small businesses Tweet Mr Paphitis every sunday night and he personally choses 6 to Re-Tweet to all his 233000 followers which potentially opens up ones business up to a wider audience.


Well this was my winning Tweet! ;)



@TheoPaphitis #sbs I have a passion for decorative glass and traditional skills.I make beautiful windows to enhance living spaces and teach!

I have been given a badge made by Dylan More @aquadesign and am looking forward to meeting him and other winners this Friday at a meeting  in Birmingham! 


No comments:

Post a Comment